Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Illuminated Invitations

This is in no way turning into a wedding blog, but I have been on a quest for great inspiration for my wedding invites, which of course I want to illustrate myself, hence the posting. I already showed the save the date, but wanted something different for the invites and have searched high and low for ideas.

First, I was really into the idea of a comic book theme.


I was obsessed with this comic book cover style design from D.I.Y. Union

and this one from Lollipop Events and Designs-where the bride's ring is a diamond Hello Kitty!!


But also loved the sweet simplicity of black and white lettering and kraft paper of this letter pressed couple via Oh So Beautiful Paper


and of course all the wonderful Rifle Paper invitations; especially that the designs of their whole sets work together perfectly....


and was also drawn to the intricate line work of this gorgeous hand carved and printed set via Tugboat Printshop



But ultimately, this board I put together was the final inspiration piece I went off of to design the invites. It will definitely be a black and white crosshatching type style drawing of the Society of Illustrators where the wedding will occur. I liked the idea of us on it, but we decided simpler was better. I can always draw us in front of the building on the RSVP or for the guest book. (yay, more projects!!) I still don't know whether to add the one color pop of their iconic red door, it doesn't go with the palette of anything else; I'm not all "wedding colors!!", but they have to all make sense together, you know? Although it is so trendy right now, I just love the look of kraft paper and think the envelopes may be made of that...
From left corner: Incredible building illustration by Al lorenz via Society of Illustrators ; Shu Okada's people have a very sweet vintage Joan Walsh Anglund feel; The awesome hand drawn napkin invites were done for a contest on 100 layer cake by Bryn; Picture I drew of Matt in front of the Rosenbach Museum in Philly; Wedding paper set with library building and bookmark; Letterpressed Golden Gate bridge invite; My drawing of a 2 of hearts couple

1 comment:

  1. Awughwah? You're getting married at the Society of Illustrators!? I want to hear how this magic happened. I always feel SO happy there. It is the perfect place for a wedding.

    Also, you should totally get letter press plates done of your illustration. I just started playing with letter press for outline, black and white illustrations. Email me and I'll send along sources if you want them.

    I love getting to see all your research. I'm sure that whatever you choose they'll be amazing. I'm excited to see all these upcoming wedding projects!

    ReplyDelete